QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Sunday, February 8, 2015

Moda's Go Big Pattern Book


Moda/United Notions has printed a new booklet with patterns for big blocks.
Go Big For Your Home
is a Baker's Dozen of 32-inch blocks.
"Big chunky pieces let the fabric do the work for you."

I like that the cover quilt is made from my Union Blues collection 
of reproduction fabrics.






You get paterns for 13 large blocks, which would make good crib quilts
or wall hangings as one big block, or full-sized quilts in multiples.

There's a tradition of using large blocks.

Particularly in mid-19th-century applique


And for complicated pieced blocks

Textile Museum of Canada
such as feathered stars.

From Stella Rubin's online store

But sometimes simple blocks show design genius.

Four-block strip quilt by Loretta Pettway,
Gee's Bend, Alabama


If you are thinking big, look for this book.

5 comments:

  1. There must be something in the air this year about big blocks. Our guild is hosting a year of big blocks(30"s)to make prenatal quilts and now I read about this Moda book. Thanks for letting us know, Barbara. I'll be looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister loves quilt with big block

    The cover is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what I should be making, I do not work well with small things, lol. Some of those patterns look familiar, a friend sent me a lot of her older books with those patterns in them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of big blocks, especially to show off beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this book for my customers and was very impressed with the easy instructions. This will be a hit with those trying to use up their stash. I can see lots of gifts being made from these blocks.

    ReplyDelete