QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Sunday, June 7, 2009

Georgia Tulips

Tulip by LeeAnn Decker 62" x 72"

The tulip quilt with its 16-inch blocks was inspired by a quilt on the cover of Anita Zaleski Weinraub's Georgia Quilts. The cover quilt top was made by Annie Parham Howard in Morgan County in 1960.

That quilt is truly inspirational. I did the quilt below in Kaffe Fassett's stripes and Dorothy LeBoeuf did a smaller version with the checked binding. There's a pattern for mine on page 123 of my 2008 book Making History: Quilts & Fabric 1890-1970.






4 comments:

  1. Great quilt...and that isn't just because I am living in Georgia! Quilters here love their string piecing. We had a documentation day in Augusta a few years ago and I must have seen two dozen sting pieced quilts. My favorites were two made by a quilter who ran a boarding house downtown and the family says she used salesman samples given to her by borders to make the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book too and love the cover tulips! I have yet to make one... these are lovely, the blue sashing looks great, But that red (first photo)really sings to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have admired that quilt for awhile now. GREAT interpretations! I have been looking for another block to "string piece" and this is really making me rethink my ideas. Again, all great quilts are a little out side the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorothy and I used striped fabric but I am thinking about doing it in again as string piecing using the 1-1/2" Honey Bun precuts from Moda.

    ReplyDelete